Monday 11 January 2016

Sermon Opoho Church Sunday 22 November, 2015 ‘What Christ may come?’

Readings:  Revelation 1:4b-8,  John 18:33-37

Let us pray:  Keep your church alert, Holy Spirit, ready to hear when you are calling, and when you challenge us.  Keep us hopeful, Holy Spirit, knowing that Christ will come again.  Rouse our spirits, Jesus Christ, that whenever you come to the door and knock you may find us awake , ready to admit and serve you.  Stir up O God, the wills of your faithful people… through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Over the years, I have struggled with this question:  ‘What Christ may come?’ 
Is it the Christ of my Sunday School years – soft and reliable and easy enough to in my back pack to pull out when guidance was needed. 
Or is it the Christ of others – either the easily dismissed because I could smell the hypocrisy from miles away or the elusive just occasionally glimpsed in the lives of those who believed or the scary that called but would mean giving me up if I succumbed!
Or is it the Christ of my journey now – who stirs me up, breaks me down, centres me, sends me flying, with whom I share doubts and laughter and tears, of whom I know as truth and as promise and as love. The Christ that walks with me, challenges me to grow and disturbs the very fibre of my being, who enables me to be at peace in uncertainty and hopeful in a broken world despite all evidence to the contrary.  That is my Christ who has come.  The Christ of my journey and of my destination.
What of you?  What of other Christians in the world?  It is neither my right nor my desire to force any statements of faith out of you right now – although, as we heard here last Sunday, affirming and expressing your understanding of ‘What Christ has come?’ is something that can only feed our understanding of whose it is that we are.
But what I do want to ask you is ‘In what ways does your Christ stir you up – and are you willing to be stirred.
(For Knox:  This morning at Opoho we had ‘stir-up Sunday’  where we mixed up a Christmas pudding and heard the collect used in the Anglican prayer book for this day – which includes the words: Stir up, O Lord, the wills of your faithful people….)
Jesus was certainly stirring when he faced Pilate – and there was a small indication that Pilate was willing to engage in that conversation.  You can hear the slightly searching questions:
‘Are you the king of the Jews’
‘I don’t know what they think? Just answer the question’
Are you or aren’t you?’  You can hear the frustration too.  In his own way he was really trying to figure this guy out.
What was this truth that Jesus knew and that he, Pilate, couldn’t grab hold of?
But the answer was too ‘out there’ for Pilate, beyond his vision, his experience.  In a way he refused to be stirred up.
My kingdom is not from this world says Jesus – um what?. The authority given comes not from people but from God. Uh.  The kingdom sought is not of the people but of God and love and compassion the hallmarks.  Aw come on I am one of the most powerful people around and if I was to show the slightest weakness – it’d be all over.  Yeah, no!

He could not envisage the kingdom that Jesus spoke of.  But this why we are here is it not?  In some way we each of us catch glimpses of God’s kingdom - can see that vision of a world ruled by love and compassion, a place of peace and justice and grace, the hope that Jesus was born into this world to fulfil.

And when we lift our eyes to that vision, does it stir us up, engage us, encourage us to continue on the journey to know Jesus more deeply and to live out the way of Jesus in our lives.  Does the fact that you can believe in the promise of the kingdom to come help us to live well into the Christ that has come in the now?  Does it hold back the wave of despair at the awful stuff that is happening in the world, at the frustration of inaction and the pounding of the cynical world?  Does it give us hope for the journey and trust in the destination.  I hope so.

A story – of journey and destination.[1]




[1] A Blessing to Follow by Tom Gordon from A Blessing to Follow: Contemporary parables for living p.265

No comments:

Post a Comment