Monday 8 September 2014

Service of Worship Sunday 17 August, 2014 Pentecost 10 Youth Sunday

Welcome

Call to Worship 
We come together today – old folks, young ones, family in the name of God.
We come to praise God, to share in prayer and Word
We come to sing our old favourites and our new songs.
praising the one who brings love and hope to us, who calls us to be the church in this place.
Let us worship God

Hymn please stand as the bible is carried in and for the first hymn
Words Christian Henry Bateman  WOV 162

Come, children, join and sing, alleluia! amen!
loud praise to Christ our king, alleluia! amen!
let all, with heart and voice, before his throne rejoice;
praise is his gracious choice: alleluia! amen!

Come, lift your hearts on high, alleluia! amen!
let praises fill the sky; alleluia! amen!
he is our guide and friend, on him we can depend;
his love shall never end: alleluia! amen!

Sing praises loud and long; alleluia! amen!
life shall not end the song; alleluia! amen!
on heaven's blissful shore his goodness we'll adore,
singing for evermore, alleluia! amen!

Prayer of Confession

Words of Assurance
We sing:  second verse unaccompanied
Words Anna Warner  WOV 166

Jesus loves me! This I know
for the Bible tells me so;
little ones to him belong,
in his love we shall be strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me, yes, Jesus loves me,
yes, Jesus loves me,  the Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! This I know,
as he loved so long ago
taking children on his knee,
saying, "Let them come to me."

Jesus loves me still today,
walking with me on my way;
wanting as a friend to give
light and love to all who live.

The Peace 
Kia tau tonu te rangimarie o te Ariki ki a koutou;
The Peace of Christ be with you all
A ki a koe ano hoki. And also with you
we exchange a sign of peace with each other

Community Time – welcome, notices, anniversaries





Birthday greetings today.
May God bless you we pray.
Live for Jesus dear [name or friends],
May he guide you always.

Youth and Children Focus

Imagine that this was a great big boat – and that we had to stay on board for forever and had to share it with animals….and it was too wet to go outside and play and run through the grass, in fact you couldn’t see any grass or trees – just water.  That is what happened to the family of Noah. Long long ago there was a terrible flood and the bible tells us that Noah and his family listened to God and built a boat to live in while the land was under water.  And they took with them all kinds of animals and birds – they probably didn’t need to take the fish.  Let’s hear the story.

Bible Readings :
First Reading: Genesis 6 & 7  The story of the Ark
Reader: Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church
People: Thanks be to God

Hymn Arky Arky Noah song  Traditional

The Lord said to Noah: there's gonna be a floody, floody...
Get those children out of the muddy, muddy, children of the Lord

The Lord told Noah to build him an arky, arky....
Build it out of gopher barky, barky, children of the Lord

He called for the animals, they came in by twosies, twosies...
Elephants and kangaroosie, roosies, children of the Lord

It rained and it poured for forty long daysies, daysies....
Almost drove those animals crazy, crazy, children of the Lord

Then Noah he sent out, he sent out a dovey, dovey....
Dovey said "There's clear skies abovey-bovey", children of the Lord

The sun came out and dried up the landy, landy....
Everything was fine and dandy, dandy, children of the Lord

The animals they came off, they came off by threesies, threesies....
Grizzly bears and chimpanzeesies, zeesies, children of the Lord

So, rise and shine, and give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine, ....  Children of the Lord....

Gospel Reading: Mark 7:24-30 and ‘Mine or the whole world’s’ from Present on Earth  p.99
Jesus had just arrived at a new house and was really tired – he had been travelling and teaching.
And we have just been singing about children of the Lord – well all people are children of God but in those days many of the Jews thought God belonged to them and only looked after them.
Jesus and his companions were Jews and they called those who weren’t Jews Gentiles (not of the faith)  The woman who came and asked to see him was a Gentile and probably wouldn’t have been welcome in any Jewish house –

 Narrator –
James –
Woman –
Jesus
Host –  Mark
Narrator: From there, Jesus went away to the countryside to the region                     of Tyre

Jesus:         I went into a house to get away from the crowds.  I didn’t want anyone to know I was there; but it was impossible.  I couldn’t stay hidden.

Narrator:   A woman who was a Gentile heard where Jesus was.

Woman:     ‘Gentile’ is a posh word for foreigner, and ‘foreigner’ is a posh word for someone who doesn’t belong to their faith.
                   I come from Syria.  No self respecting Jew would have entertained me.  They called people like me names that I could never repeat here.

Host:          She’s telling the truth.  I’m a Jew and I learned all these names for ‘foreigners’.  It was my house Jesus was staying in.  You can imagine how I felt when she came to the door.  But when she told me her story, I felt sorry for her.  So I let her in.

Woman:     I didn’t go for me; for was for my wee girl.  Something had got into her. I don’t know what.  She was going off her head.  It was as if she was possessed or something.

Narrator:   When the woman saw Jesus she called out.

Woman:     Have mercy on me, Son of David.
                   (then addressing the assembly in a different tone)
                   I gave him his proper title, so that nobody could say I wasn’t minding my manners...

Jesus:         I wasn’t pleased to hear her.  I had given strict instructions that I wasn’t to be disturbed.  I was tired and needed a rest.  I asked why she had been let in.

Host:          And I said that it was my house and my decision.

Narrator:   Then she fell at Jesus’ feet and begged him to heal her daughter.
                   Jesus didn’t say a word to her, but his disciples came and begged him to send her away, because she had been following them and making a terrible noise.

James:        Well so she had.  She had been going on like a lunatic, and I could feel my face going all red with embarrassment.  I mean, she didn’t belong to us; she wasn’t a Jew.  We had to remember our reputations.

Narrator:   Then the woman cried out,

Woman:     Please help me, sir!

Host:          This was all happening in my living room.  It was the first time I had ever had the likes of her in my house.  I don’t know what ever possessed me to let her in in the first place.

Narrator:   Jesus said,

Jesus:         Let us feed the children first.

James:        I was glad to hear him say that.  After all, we’re the children of Israel, and some of us were hungry,

Host:          ....and I was hoping he might do his trick with the loaves and fishes again.

Jesus:         Let us feed the children first.  It isn’t right to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.

James:        When I heard that I wanted to shout Hurray!

Host:          When I heard that I said to myself, ‘Thank God’.

Woman:     When I heard that my heart sank....
                   Calling us dogs....
It was just what you’d expect a Jew to say!

Jesus:         That’s why I said it.  It was just what a Jew would be expected to say.  It’s just the kind of nasty thing that anyone else in this place might say.
                   I saw James nodding his head.  I saw the man who owned the house looking relieved.  What they didn’t see but what the woman saw was the wink in my eye.

Woman:     Just in the nick of time I realised he was having me on.  He was using the kind of language the others wanted to hear.  So I played along with him when I saw the twinkle in his eye.
                   He said it wasn’t right to throw the children’s food to the dogs.  So I looked at him with a wee twinkle myself and said, ‘But Jesus, the dogs under the table eat the children’s scraps.’

Host:          ‘Cheeky midden’ I thought, and I was about to show her the door when I noticed that Jesus was smiling.

James:        I was going to give her a mouthful, but I saw that Jesus wasn’t annoyed.  It was as if he had fed her the punch line and she had delivered it on cue.

Jesus:         It was clear as the light of day to me.  This woman was a good woman, and she was a tough woman, and she wanted the best for her daughter.  Her being a Gentile couldn’t change that.  I admired her for bursting into a house full of Jews, and I was moved by her faith.
                   So I told her...  and all the others... how much I admired her.  And then I said, ‘What you want will be done for you.’
Narrator:   That’s the precise moment when the woman’s daughter recovered.

Host:          And that’s the precise moment when I realised that Jesus someone very different, and not just there for me as  I wanted him to be but for everyone.
Reader: This is the Gospel of Jesus Christ
People:  Praise to Christ the Word

Hymn
Words and Music Colin Gibson AA 161

With a hoot and a toot on a pipe or a flute
we will praise, we will worship God;
with a hum or a thrum, with a roll on a drum,
we will make him a joyful noise.

Bow a cello that is mellow, sound a trumpet call,
blow a horn and a deep bassoon;
every instrument is playing, with our voices we are saying
we rejoice, we are glad in God.

With a clap of a hand, or the sound of a band,
we will praise, we will worship God;
with a paper and comb, on an old trombone,
we will make him a joyful noise.

With a peal on a bell, with a cheer or a yell,
we will praise, we will worship God;
with a bong on a gong, through the words of this song,
we will make him a joyful noise.

God’s Family
Get one of the children to light candle for each child of God.
I am a child of God
I am a baby.
I need love and nurture.
God gives me the gift of life.
I love my big sister.
So value my potential, because you’ve had the chance to value
 yours.

I am a child of God.
I am that little girl.
I need safety and security.
God gives me the beauty of innocence.
My big brother’s really great.
Don’t destroy my innocence, for with it you will destroy my life.

I am a child of God.
I am that big brother, a spotty teenager.
I need understanding and patience.
God gives me a questioning mind.
My mum’s just the coolest mum in the street.
Tolerate my rebelliousness, because I can change the world
for you.

I am a child of God.
I am that busy mother.
I need acknowledgement and support.
God gives me a capacity to cope.
It’s great having Grandad around.
Please see me as a whole person, ‘cause I’m much more than
a harassed mother.
I am a child of God.
I am a grandfather, working hard, good at my job.
I need perspective and rest time
God gives me the wisdom of years.
My old mentor still knows more than me.
Keep allowing me to learn and be vulnerable

I am a child of God.
I am that mentor, now a frail old woman.
I need tolerance and time and people to sit quiet with me.
God gives me memories of a full life.
Thank God for my family.
I’m still here, and I’m more than just this frail body you see.

We are all children of God, unique, making a difference, gifting and receiving, all of us a special part of God’s family.   Thanks be to God

Hymn  please remain standing at the end of the hymn for the dedication of the offering.
Words and music Brian M Howard.

This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
Oh, this little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, all the time, let it shine

Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm going to let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm going to let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, all the time, let it shine.


All around the neighbourhood, I'm going to let it shine
All around the neighbourhood, I'm going to let it shine
All around the neighbourhood, I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, all the time, let it shine.

Offertory Prayer of Dedication
Bless these our offerings of money, of our goods and of ourselves so that all might be used to make your light shine in this world.  Amen

We sing our Thanksgiving.
If I were a butterfly, I’d thank you Lord for giving me wings;
if I were a robin in a tree I’d thank you Lord that I could sing,
and if I were fish in the sea I’d wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee
but I just thank you Father for making me, me.
For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile,
you gave me Jesus and you made me your child
and I just thank you Jesus for making me, me.

If I were an elephant, I’d thank you Lord by raising my trunk;
if I were a kangaroo, you know I’d hop right up to you;
if I were an octopus, I’d thank you Lord for my fine looks,
but I just thank you Father for making me, me.

If I were a wiggly worm, I’d thank you Lord that I could squirm;
if I were a fuzzy wuzzy bear, I’d thank you Lord for my fuzzy wuzzy hair;
if I were a crocodile, I’d thank you Lord for my great smile,
but I just thank you Father for making me, me.

Prayers of Intercession
Invite people to add to the candles of the children of God, saying who or what they are lighting the candle for.

 Hymn
My Lord, He done done, x3
He done what He said He’d do.
He said he’d give us his Spirit, He done done x3
He done what He said He’d do.

My Lord, He done done, x3
He done what He said He’d do.
He said he’d make us friends, He done done x3
He done what He said He’d do.

My Lord, He done done, x3
He done what He said He’d do.
He said he’d give us his love, He done done x3
He done what He said He’d do.

My Lord, He done done, x3
He done what He said He’d do.
He said he’d make us one, He done done x3
He done what He said He’d do.

Commissioning 
Let us go in peace.
We go in the name of Christ.

 Benediction
And may the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with us all, now and always.   Amen

Blessing Song
CH4 194  V.1 author unknown, V.2  Mark Bevin

This is the day, this is the day
that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made.  L
Let us rejoice, let us rejoice,
and be glad in it, and be glad in it.
This is the day that the Lord has made
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made.

Now we go out, now we go out
in the light of God, in the light of God;
doing our best, doing our best
to walk your way, to walk your way.
Now we go out, in the light of God
doing our best to walk your way.
Now we go out, now we go out
in the light of God


No comments:

Post a Comment