Friday 4 July 2014

Sermon Opoho Church Sunday 6th July, 2014 Pentecost 4

Readings:  Psalm 145: 8-14, Zechariah 9:9-12, Matthew 11: 16-19, 25-30

Let us pray:  O God, by your Holy Spirit open our minds and hearts, and lead us in your truth we pray.  Amen.

 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’[1]

Jesus says: Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." [2] 
Two renditions of Verses 28 – 30 from the Matthew reading for today, the last from the Message.

Whenever I encounter familiar words of scripture, when I struggle to find a way in to a text, I find it helpful to read other Bible versions, translations that might put it in a slightly different way; that might hopefully open up some new meaning.
We are all probably familiar with the words  ‘Come to me all that are weary and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest... my yoke is easy and my burden is light’ 
Yet we might, at first look, be troubled by the use of words like yoke and burden, seeing them as loss of freedom, being under someone else’s capricious control, as awkward and heavy and burdensome.  In fact if we had expanded our Hebrew Scripture reading from last week to the verses before and after the debate between Hananiah and Jeremiah – we would have heard talk of the heavy yoke of conquering Babylonians, with Jeremiah wearing a yoke to the debate to make his point – a yoke that, in response to his call for peaceful action, Hananiah shattered off his back.   Alternatively the imagery can be incredibly welcoming – come to me and I will give you rest.  It is easy to understand these verses as a place of refuge, an inn that you might stop at for a rest in the midst of a long and weary patch of your life journey – before you move on. So it can be hard to get beyond that imagery of a well known passage, whatever it might mean to you which is again why other translations can encourage new eyes for the text.   
So when I read this particular passage in the Message Bible, it seemed somehow more hopeful, less onerous and more challenging. 
Why more hopeful?  Well there is the sense that the welcome of Christ is not something temporary, something we have to seek when we have run out of puff.  ‘I will give you rest’ opens up to ‘I will show you how to recover your life – to rest in a way that sustains and nurtures and give a peace that this world does not understand and that will be with you in all your journeying.  There was one line in particular that really jumped out at me – and that was ‘Learn the unforced rhythms of grace’.  Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace...’
What might that mean?  In an interesting way it sits alongside some of the discussion we had at our first Wednesday Worship service – where we talked about how to nourish a strong spiritual fitness (almost) so that the things we do and the decisions we make are anchored in our understanding of God and the way of Christ.  We talked about regular prayer and reading and conversation in community feeding our souls and growing our faith – not for its own sake but to help us discern where the choices we make and the behaviour we exhibit are contrary to the way of Jesus, the way of love and mercy and justice.  That when anger arises it does not turn in to violence, when we want something, we can figure out if we need or others need or our need is fueling injustice to others.

Why less onerous?  ‘Walk with me and work with me....keep company with me’  The welcome of Jesus, the ‘come unto me...’ is an invitation for us to enter into a way of life that is in the company of Christ, not left to do it alone.  He and we look to live out a life that is focussed and obedient to the way of love and mercy and justice – not a yoke of disempowerment or a burden of complex and indecipherable law but rather that ‘unforced rhythm of grace’ that is just who we are, that enables us to discern with almost a childlike simplicity the path of Christ in each and every facet of our lives.  Jesus is kind of warning us in this passage that it doesn’t do to get all tied up in trying to figure out how to behave by using our wisdom to create and interpret human or even biblical law – we just get deeper and deeper into a pit of increasingly contradictory  rules where to follow one is to break another or compromise both.  We as a country (and I am sure many others) seem to think that the best way to deal with injustice is to add more words to the laws!  Unfair perhaps but an inkling of truth.    Jesus says instead – actually it is quite simple – love and care for your neighbour, and walk with me – I will show you how. 
And more challenging?  ...watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace, learn to live freely and lightly.
Christians do not have the monopoly on trying to live their lives in love and compassion.  Other faiths seek the same right living from their followers and those who choose to call themselves non-believers can live guided by conscience (usually firmly based on the tenets of faith), and teachings for social good.  But for us who follow Christ, there is a particular challenge for there is no sense that we have ever arrived, that we have got it all together and, through our wisdom or our laws, are sufficiently mature enough to go it alone.  We need the welcome of Jesus, the unforced rhythm of his grace in our lives in the way that a child constantly needs the love and nurturing of parents to grow and reach their potential.  For there are ways of love that we struggle to understand on our own.   Take the example of the man who penned the words to the hymn we will sing after the sermon – ‘What a Friend we have in Jesus’ – Joseph Scriven.  I read about his life and leapt to a conclusion.  He was born in Ireland in 1819 – a reasonably well to do family – and was ready to settle down when his fiancé died by accidental drowning the night before the wedding.  Full of grief he emigrated to Canada where he met and was about to marry another woman when she fell ill with pneumonia and died.  He then, unsurprisingly, decided to go it alone and devoted the rest of his life helping others even though he himself suffered severe depression – and may have ended his own life.  So, I thought, this hymn he must have written to get him through a life that no one person should ever have to live.  This is his expression of hope in God for himself.  But no –he wrote it as a poem for his mother who was very ill back in Ireland – originally called ‘Pray without ceasing’. He lived in the unforced rhythms of grace that was Christ welcome and home for him, a grace that allowed him rest and assurance in his very difficult life and a hope that nurtured him on a life’s journey of service to others and his God.
I will finish with the words of this passage from the King James version.

 “Come unto Me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.”[3]

Margaret Garland




[1] NRSV Matthew 11:28-30
[2] Message Bible Matthew 11: 28-30

[3] Matthew 11:28-3021st Century King James Version (KJ21)


No comments:

Post a Comment